Apprentice Engineer at Arriva

South East
April 2018

8.7/10

I was an apprentice engineer for a heavy vehicle company located in the Medway towns in Kent, my role was to work beside experienced and qualified engineers and technicians to service vehicles used on a day to day basis for public transportation.

I studied motor vehicle in college so when I got involved with working in a garage for heavy vehicles, the experience was daunting at first but I quickly adapted to the environment I worked in, and also the people I worked besides on a day to day basis.

To work in a big garage was an outstanding experience. I met many people I highly enjoyed to learn from, and every day I had learnt a new skill I could use to challenge my motoring skills in the future if I ever decided to open my own garage maybe in light vehicle.

4. How valued do you feel by Arriva?

At first I felt that I was singled out because I was a teenager in this big mans world. But once I got a chance to meet the crew who has created this environment, they had welcomed me into this World of respect and helped me step into man hood. So all in all I felt like I was highly values by everyone there.

The programme was not as organised as I had expected it to be, I had never worked properly before and as an apprentice I had expected more theory time but to spend eighty percent of the time doing practical work was a huge benefit to me.

They had supported me every step of the way. From point A through to point B. I was always offered help and was always assessed on the tasks I was handed and every job I went away and carried out. And on the theory side, I was always having a tutor give me that extra hand.

As for my employer, he was brilliant with offering me help I really needed. I had issues outside if the work place and he offered me help. I had an injury and he set me up with occupational therapy which was a great deal to my self and my career.

I am not currently on the greatest salary but after a while, hopefully I will be making enough of a salary to find my own nice little flat or maybe a house, i can now afford to pay off phone bills and for food and clothes, but I will soon look into buying a home with my partner.

I am on a 38 hour contract which gives me plenty of time for activities away from work. With the experience I have gained, I have used my skills to help build my own vehicle in my garden and make a small bit of money helping friends and family woth there cars and bikes. With the hours I work, I haveplenty of time away from work to focus on myself and my family.

9. Would you recommend Arriva to a friend?

An apprenticeship is the greatest choice I have made. Being paid to learn is a great way to convince secondary school / college graduates to gain extra qualifications whilst working in a proper working environment. The apprenticeship scheme is brilliant and I had wished I had taken this opportunity sooner. It will make a huge impact on youngers lives.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Arriva?

Keep your attendance and punctuality as high as you possibly can, because with the apprentice scheme, you could potentially have a huge job offfer at the end when you qualify into whatever field you have chosen. Also, apply as early as you can. That gives you that smaller push to succeeding a placement in the scheme.