trainee technician at Thames Water

Hertfordshire
March 2018

Connect with Thames Water

7.9/10

Come in for 7:30 log on to my laptop and discuss upcoming jobs for the day proceed to do the jobs by wither showing or doing with guidance from mentor after job I write up the job for my books with the pictures I took during the job and send it off to smart assessor to be assessed.

I go on r3egular courses at Thames water on first aid and manual handling to PLC/Telemetry training and briefing.

I thoroughly enjoy learning and experiencing new techniques to maintain or install equipment.

4. How valued do you feel by Thames Water?

I get regular updates from my manager and apprenticeship to keep me on track which makes me feel valued and constantly evolving into a engineer

the actual apprenticeship is very structured but once on site it seems to be a different ball game, there is barely any communication between Thames apprenticeship programme and managers.

I get regularly feedback form activate on smart assessor. and also RAG reports every month to see if I am on track.

I get regular time to focus on my paperwork for the course + actual on the job knowledge which is good.

the first year I was on 12,000 Pa/ 950 a month which is a good starting salary but they expect us to pay travel to college every day which would amount to 450 a month so I had to take out a loan just to live the first year. so in that respect it was poor

there are no sport club there is a Christmas meal each year and we get £30 a head to organise a team building exercise each year, but its up to the manager discretion.

9a. Would you recommend Thames Water to a friend? *

its a good start if you want to get into a engineer role as an apprentice with the training and support

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Thames Water? *

it take about 6 month applying to first day so don't be disheartened if you don't hear anything.