Hi! Just a little message to let you know that we've updated our Privacy Policy.

Investment Operations Apprentice at Schroders

School Leaver Programme
Competitive
February 2018

I am an Investment Operations Apprentice. My role involves monitoring the flow of index data from a variety of different vendors into the business. I constantly have to communicate with not just the aforementioned vendors, but other teams in the business also, and respond to general requests. The data that I handle is used to assess the performance of funds or to make investment decisions, meaning that my team and I have a fairly important role in ensuring that the business runs smoothly.

The main skill that I have developed is communication. I have learnt how to talk to others in an efficient, professional and friendly manner, which has greatly improved my image. I have also developed a greater knowledge of the financial service industry, especially through my studies for the Investment Operations Certificate.

I highly enjoy my programm for a number of reasons. My every day work gives me a real insight into the financial services industry, and I am surrounded by a very helpful and friendly team. The social life is good and I have made many new friends amongst the other apprentices. Schroders is a very special company, and I gain a great sense of pride knowing that I work for them.

4. How valued do you feel by Schroders?

I feel that I am valued highly by Schroders. I recieve praise from my manager when I have done a task well, and I am trusted to carry out processes that previously, other senior members of the team would have done. I have catch-up sessions with the organisers of the apprencticeship scheme, who report back any positive comments given by my manager to them. The more positive feedback I recieve, the more tasks I am offered to do, which aids my growth in my role.

My programme is structured well. When I started the scheme, I participated in a three-day induction session, which gave ne a real insight into the firm and the financial services industry as a whole. Throughout the programme, I have been provided with a number of soft and hard skills sessions organised internally, as well as various events organised by the Investment 2020 initiative.

I recieve a high level of support from my training provider. I have access to a personal talent coach who monitors my progress and answers any questions that I may have. I also have access to an online portal that contains a lot of training material, and have been invited to attend online classroom sessions.

I recieve a high level of support from my employer. My manager is always on hand to assist me with tasks, and the HR team are incredibly approachable and helpful.

My salary is very good for someone of my age. I am able to cover all of my living and travel cost, as well as enjoying a good social life. I also have a very good pension and benefits package.

We have access to a gym on site and there a number of sports clubs and socities to join. There are many social events put on by the company including the Christmas party which is always a grand occasion.

9a. Would you recommend Schroders to a friend? *

It is a fantastic company to work for, and a great way to start your career in the investment management industry.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Schroders? *

Be brave, bold and confident. Present yourself well and wirte a good CV.