Piling Operations Apprentice/ Slinger Signaller at Laing O'Rourke

Central London & City
February 2018

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

My role within my apprenticeship is that of a Piling Operations worker, meaning I am involved with the daily works of Piling Foundation works. On a day to day basis I am a certified Slinger/Signaller, meaning I direct the Crane during movements and lifts of any kind; usually this involves the unloading/loading of equipment onto/off of wagons, aswell as lifting the cages into the concreted piles to complete the process.

I have learnt a number of manual labour style skills including the correct identification and use of necessary tools and equipment for specific purposes aswell as gaining my CPCS Card in the Slinger/Signaller duties category. I have also developed my personal interaction skills working with new people week in week out and meeting many different people of varying cultures.

I enjoy my programme very much as it has a clear progression route allowing me to experience each step of the industry that I work in, aswell as allowing me to be active on site.

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

I feel valued as an employee as the staff ensure they take the time to check up regularly and always make sure that I’m comfortable with my work and who I’m working with.

The aspects of the programme that are actually run by Laing O’Rourke are structured and organised well, however the areas of he course that are run by the FPS (Federation of Piling Specialists) such as the college based courses could be better organised. An example of this would be the organisation of course matter into a more chronological order, rather than learning things later in the course that we have already been doing on site for months prior to the course.

The majority of my support is offered from individuals at work rather than from the company as a whole, as my job is very person based on site, working with a team where everyone supports each other on site rather than having to go to the offices for any support

Very well. I feel that I am payed a very good amount for someone my age in my role, and look forward to earning more money as a full time employee once my apprenticeship is over.

Out of work opportunities come in a vast quantity as you socialise with colleagues regularly outside of work, as you become friends with them.

9. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend?

Laing O’Rourke is a massive company that offers you a massive amount of potential progress routes in many fields. They are a world renouned construction company that can provide you with the best training allow you to reach your full potential in your role.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke?

Get stuck in, get hands on and put your all into everything you do. The company rewards hard work and it’s the best way to ensure your career is fruitful and comfortable. Hard work really does pay off.