Apprentice Electrician at SSE

South West
January 2018

Role: First year Apprentice

My daily tasks involve Driving, writing appropriate Risk Assessments and helping my Electrician/ Approved Electrician complete the tasks/jobs we are given.

I will be allocated jobs making allowance for the competency I possess in that job. This can vary depending on my current experiences.

Daily internal interactions involve conversations with other Electricians and sometimes Management.

External interactions are generally with other trades and retail outlets.

I have been on an Asbestos Awareness Course and I have certainly developed my existing skills regarding installation of circuits and accessories and developing an overview of how a job works and visualising a job from start to finish.

Very much so. It's refreshing to learn new skills and have new experiences day to day something that was missing from my previous job.

4. How valued do you feel by SSE?

I do feel valued by SSE but I also understand my current limitations and how my usefulness to SSE should improve over time. Interactions with managers and other Electricians have been positive sofar.

It seems to be well structured with the availability of support should I require it.

As much as I require to date.

Enough, to date.

It's not easy but I have planned for it so I am getting by. The first two years will be the toughest.

Not many as yet.

9. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?

Good company to work for.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?

Make sure you get the best grades you can.