IT Degree Apprentice at SSE

South West
Degree Apprenticeship
January 2018

4 days working a week with one day attending university. The program lasts 4 years and every 6 months we rotate around SSE IT and have new tasks and challenges to complete as part of our 'taster role'. These can include a wide variety of work: - Project Managemement - Portfolio Management - Software Testing - Software/Hardware Support - Data Mining/Data Analystics - Business Relations - Business Analyst - Strategy/Governance - Architecture

Communication skills and working within teams is one of SSE's greatest assets. I have also learned multiple coding languages along with Business management modules at uni.

I enjoy my program, however some rotations can be less exciting to the individual than to others.

4. How valued do you feel by SSE?

I feel very valued, performance reviews and regular catch ups help to ensure I am being aided as much as possible and that I am on track to meet my goals.

Any issues faced inside or outside work are welcome to be discussed and various support networks are available to us through SSE.

Our programme is in its 2nd year of running now, and although some structural issues have been found - these have been rectified and our rotation plans are stabilising and more beneficial for us to learn within.

At University lecturers are willing to spend extra time to support those that require it and peer-support is advised. We also have a work mentor who is assigned to us to help should we require any advice or feedback. Along with this we get a personal tutor at University who can help us to adapt or overcome any academic difficulties.

Our employer is incredibly supportive and go above and beyond my first expectations to help us to settle in and feel valued within SSE.

My Salary package is better than that of other Degree Apprenticeship courses I have found and this helps to meet rent, household bills and travel costs.

Every year employees are encouraged to take at least 1 day paid work to help a volunteer organisation or their local community, as part of our Be The Difference scheme.

9. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?

SSE is a great employer to work for, at the forefront of sustainable energy production & distribution with an ever-changing technological/IT influence. The skills available to learn and the various career paths open to Degree Apprentices are truly amazing, with 3 and a half years to make up our mind as to where we see ourselves once we complete our degree.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?

Just be yourself. SSE value the individual and the potential influence or charisma you can bring to their teams and as long as you have ambition and a passion for working in an ever-evolving industry, you'll fit in perfectly.