Apprentice Electrical Fitter at SSE

Scotland
January 2018

7 /10

Installing and dismantling 11/33kv substations. This involves breakers, transformers, isolators, busbars, earthing and HV cabling.

Learnt slot hand skills over my 3 years, using various hand tools and mechanical tools safely and correctly. I have learned how to fix problems put infront off my as quickly and adequately as possible. Learned to work well in a team, keeping the job going smoothly.

I enjoy the working side off my programme. Each job I go to is different and has its own challenges. The college side has been frustrating due to lack on communication from my mentors.

4. How valued do you feel by SSE?

I fell very valued by my managers and work colleagues. I however do not feel valued by the main business of the company, throughout my apprenticeship I feel other were favoured more than myself. I think this is down to my old mentor, I got the impression I was being forgotten about.

Mostly my apprenticeship was well organised. Only problem I had was when I had to go to Manchester for college, on some occasions I wasn't given any information about my course so I went to college with the wrong ppe and paperwork. Also on one occasion I wasn't booked into a hotel one night so luckily there was other people on my course and I had to share with them.

An adequate amount of a support. No problems.

A good amount of support.

Very well.

Havnt looked

9. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?

Great benefits.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?

Get into the main business, try avoid contracting.