1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Installing and dismantling 11/33kv substations. This involves breakers, transformers, isolators, busbars, earthing and HV cabling.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Learnt slot hand skills over my 3 years, using various hand tools and mechanical tools safely and correctly. I have learned how to fix problems put infront off my as quickly and adequately as possible. Learned to work well in a team, keeping the job going smoothly.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I enjoy the working side off my programme. Each job I go to is different and has its own challenges. The college side has been frustrating due to lack on communication from my mentors.
4. How valued do you feel by SSE?
I fell very valued by my managers and work colleagues. I however do not feel valued by the main business of the company, throughout my apprenticeship I feel other were favoured more than myself. I think this is down to my old mentor, I got the impression I was being forgotten about.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Mostly my apprenticeship was well organised. Only problem I had was when I had to go to Manchester for college, on some occasions I wasn't given any information about my course so I went to college with the wrong ppe and paperwork. Also on one occasion I wasn't booked into a hotel one night so luckily there was other people on my course and I had to share with them.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
An adequate amount of a support. No problems.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
A good amount of support.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
9. Would you recommend SSE to a friend?
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to SSE?
Get into the main business, try avoid contracting.
More from SSEMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!