Customer Assistant at Waterstones

West Midlands
Competitive
July 2017

I was a customer assistant. This involved doing jobs like stock take, re-stacking shelves, ensuring the store was tidy and appealing, and helping customers.

I learned a lot about a customer-facing environment, and it enhanced my problem solving skills.

I enjoyed working for the company. They have a very welcoming company ethos and the team was very close. The customers were always lovely as well.

4. How valued do you feel by Waterstones?

Very much. they were understanding, nurturing and encouraging. I hope to work there again properly in the future.

It was quite well structured. The first two days were spent acquainting me with the storefront and the back rooms, and during the rest of my time, I was given a check list of things to tick off, to ensure I had the full experience.

You're trained by two people in your first two days, and after that point if you ever need help or support, you can ask anyone. Help is always there.

I only met my employer once, but the manager was always accessible, even though I didn't need to contact him myself.

My package met my costs, and I had enough left over to buy my lunches as well. It's a modest amount, but they will always cover costs as a minimum.

The team were so friendly and sociable there was a lot of out-of-work activity together.

9. Would you recommend Waterstones to a friend?

The atmosphere is really good. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves reading and books.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Waterstones?

Be friendly, be pro-active, and always be honest if you don't know something. People will be willing to help you learn.