1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Cattery Assistant, I worked alongside trained cattery staff where I had to look after cats from the ages of 6 weeks to 16 years while the owners were away. I had to clean cages, feed cats, groom cats, change water supply, fill record books, take bookings and observe medication being administered. I had to answer the phone, respond to emails as well as doing maintenance work such as steaming the cages and disinfecting.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Developed animal skills and improved confidence with working with animals. Improved communication skills and offered a high standard of customer service
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
The work was repetitive at times but the staff were friendly and the company looked after employees well
4. How valued do you feel by Riverside Cattery?
I was valued as a member of the team and customers treated with me respect. Valued both internally by other staff and externally by peers.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Very well a full induction including safety precautions. Full support and I was never left alone. Always something to do
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
Lots of guidance on how to do the tasks
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Enough support, however they were not always present
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
Poor only subsidised travelling expenses but very little pay
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
9. Would you recommend Riverside Cattery to a friend?
Good experience for anyone who wants to work with animals
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Riverside Cattery?
Stay calm at all times in order to avoid stressing animals out.