1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Teaching Assistant in SEND Department One-to-one with different 11-16 yr olds with varying Educational and Physical Disabilities. Working along-side 12-16 other TA's and 3 SEND teachers. School Educational trips and experiences. Completing responses in Home-School diaries and corresponding with parents. Teaching lessons and assisting teaching and learning of students with prospects off qualifications, and social and work skills for those who will not.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Gained a greater understanding of the impact of SEND and the variety of different needs. First Aid at Work Training and Hoist Training for children with severe disabilities. Working as a team in a high pressure and emotionally intense environment
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
Plan on going into a career in SEND and Education. Great team to work with and an excellent Senior Leadership Team. Wonderful school with an integrated SEND and Mainstream education, promoting understanding
4. How valued do you feel by Secondary School?
Incredibly valued, and offered a permanent position within the team. Gaining more and more responsibilities
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
Full training and induction on INSET days before term started, support throughout term from other TA's and teachers within SEND department
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
As much as required, after formal training weekly meetings held with full team to ensure everyone was comfortable and to raise any concerns/achievements
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
Full support from Senior Leadership Team with regular feedback and meetings
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
Unqualified Skills salary and so tricky to cover all costs, shared house with others in similar position in walking distance. This allowed money for social and living
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
Fully integrated with the rest of the School staff, opportunities to support trips abroad and volunteer with school initiatives and fundraising activities
9. Would you recommend Secondary School to a friend?
Clarified ideas of future ambitions and gained unforgettable and priceless experiences
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Secondary School?
Confidence in interview and personal statement. Go for all opportunities available and put your name down for everything.