warehouse operative at Amazon

West Midlands
May 2017

I was a stower. I had to stow products and place stock items from a trolley onto shelves. The items were varied for examples knives, books, sleeping bags, board games. This job involved lots of walking whilst pushing a large, heavy loaded trolley for 10 hours. I had to use an item scanner to scan the items.

I learnt how to use a scanner for the items. I also built my resilience to work for extremely long hours which short breaks (two 15 minute breaks and 30 minutes lunch break). On the first day an experienced stow worker demonstrated how to use the scanner and showed us what to do.

I hated this experience. It was worse than my expectation. I applied to work as an agency representative but was told that this experience that I had applied for was no longer available so was put in a different department. I was told about this change on my first day of work. The role I was put on was suited for somebody that can handle heavy lifting and walking for extremely long amount of time. I applied for a role in customer service and admin.

4. How valued do you feel by Amazon?

I did not feel valued by Amazon at all. I felt used like a machine just expected to hit rates and targets no matter how difficult the tasks set actually are. It was clear that I was unable to carry out the tasks yet I was still expected to carry them out. I did not see the managers at all. They were situated on a desk away from the rest of the workers. They were not approachable.

The program that I applied for was unavailable and I was not told about this until the first day when I asked why I was made to work in a completely different department. I should have been told about this beforehand so I could have applied to another company for a more appropriate role.

I did receive training on how to stow which lasted around 4 hours. The second half of the first day the person who trained me kept checking on me to check if I was stowing my items correctly and kept telling me where he would be situated if I had any problems. we also had to fill in a health and safety questionnaire.

There was no support from the managers who were put on a desk far way from the rest of the workers and had no input in any of the other workers problems. They were not easy to access as the site was extremely large and too much time would have been wasted attempting to access them.

The salary was very good as it was above the minimum wage requirements however the site is situated in a hard to access area and this meant a large amount of the wage was spent on travel to the location. Also the hours of the job and working on weekends meant that many local travel services were not in service.

There are no events outside o f work at all. If not at work people are at home. Nobody meets each other outside of work. because the job is so demanding and challenging much of the outside time is spent sleeping and recovering from the long 10 hours shifts of constant walking.

9. Would you recommend Amazon to a friend?

The work is very physically demanding and there are no opportunities for career progression. Also the 10 hours shifts are extremely long. many of the sites are located inaccessible areas and traveling to work becomes long and costly especially if using public transport. There is a coach service available only at Christmas time.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Amazon?

For this job there are no interviews or assessment days. If you have the right to work in the United Kingdom and can pass the drugs and alcohol test then the job is already yours. For this job no experience or references are required for this role. It's easy to get this job.