Picker at Amazon

Central London & City
May 2017

Yes was working on the shop floor, so walking around a lot during the day, fairly tiring but good exercise. Also had some experience on the packing line, this was more intense but you were static so slightly less strenuous. All in all a good experience but not sure if I'd return

Learnt how to be methodical and efficient in my job and also the most efficient route to what I was doing. Also had to remember and listen to orders and ensure priorities were correct. Don't think I took much else from it though to be honest - quite useful skills but specific to the job!

I enjoyed it, the people I worked with were interesting and the job wasn't too bad. Lots of exercise but at times was tiring. Preferred some elements of it to others and some of the managers could give you a hard time but was reasonable most of the time. Fairly OK!

4. How valued do you feel by Amazon?

Fairly valued but only if you do your job correctly which is reasonable. However I wouldn't be surprised for them to see you leave, after all its a popular job and I am sure they could get other people, but if you put in the work you will get on with the staff and be a valued staff member

Quite structured we had good training and they were also open to questions. It was fairly easy to pick up and you were allowed to go over things if you needed. I think they could have made the transition stages between the jobs a bit better though, although a minor problem.

As above, you do get a lot of support as I assume they want you to do well. I am not sure if all staff get it but as the 'newbies' we were given continual support even after initial training which was good, although most people didn't need more.

Same as above really, the initial support was good and then if you needed any more as time went on then you were able to receive it.

It was fairly good for the job, although quite a lot of work. However, breaks were provided and extra support provided if you needed. I can't complain with the wages.

Yes there were education and social opportunities although I can't divulge any further.

9. Would you recommend Amazon to a friend?

It was a good place to work, you knew what you were getting yourself in for and the job specification was clear. The staff are fair and your colleagues get on well. It was a good experience.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Amazon?

Make sure you know what the job entails, and ensure you know what will be expected from you. Other than that, enjoy!