Online Lister and Shop Worker at Oxfam

Yorkshire & The Humber
May 2017

7.8/10

I volunteered at Oxfam with everyday tasks such as placing out stock and making sure that the shop was clean and tidy. I answered questions that customers had regarding the store and its merchandise. Whilst working at the till I improved my mathematical skills. I spoke to a range of customers visiting the store. There were regular stock takes and new items were placed on the shelves for customers. I helped customers with questions, problems and complaints in person. I worked with other volunteers within the organization stocking shelves and supplies whilst also organizing displays maintaining the visual appearance of the store. I developed positive customer relationships through friendly greetings and excellent services.

I listed a range of items onto Oxfam’s website ensuring that it was updated every so often.

I have learnt a lot and gained experience in the following areas – Steaming clothes, sorting through clothes and placing them into different categories, working at the till, Banking at the end of each week, spreadsheets (Excel), Pricing stock

Loved the expereince as I was able to work with a range of people and also work with customers to offer a good service. Would definitely recommend to others.

4. How valued do you feel by Oxfam?

I felt very valued within the business as the Manager would thank me at the end of the day for working. She would also recognise the hard work I would do.

Very well organised and promoted amongst the community. However, I feel that more training should be done to ensure that the job is done correctly. Also, volunteers need to know where the Fire Exits are.

I received a lot of support and I was also given the opportunity to develop myself by tryaing a range of activities. If there were any problems I would easily be able to solve them with help from the Managers.

During this experience I wasnt paid, however, the business would reinburse my travel and food costs which I thought was good. It was also in Huddersfield Town therefore easy to locate.

Oxfam would regurlarly hold events such as ways to raise money in which I would take part in. When I wasn't working I would ensure that I would work with the team to continue to raise awareness.

9. Would you recommend Oxfam to a friend?

Allowed me to understand ways in which retails are run, was a fantastic expereince and I gained knowledge and practical skills which I can apply to my course at University.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Oxfam?

The application process was straight forward and the Manager was also friendly when I had a formal conversation with her. The interview was also stress free and I was shown around the store which was useful.