Medicinal Chemistry Intern at Roche

2011
May 2017

Synthesising medicinal drugs on a day to day basis, as well as presenting presentations and posters, and indexing chemical reactions.

Working in small groups of 2 to 3 people on a day to day basis. Dealing with difficult co-workers was a hard lesson to learn.

It was good - my supervisor was a little bit difficult to deal with and she was eccentric and would contradict herself on a day to day basis and wasn't very good with team management.

4. How valued do you feel by Roche?

They were a great company to work for - though due to my supervisors probably feeling less valued.

The programme director was great and very friendly.

Sufficient training but you have to already have the specific skills before you start the internship so it is very limited.

They offer plenty but my supervisor didn't allow me to invest time into personal development.

Very good salary for an intern.

There were various different company initiatives. Also opportunities to socialise with other interns.

9. Would you recommend Roche to a friend?

It's good experience and it was abroad so you got to experience a different culture.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Roche?

If you get a difficult supervisor see if it is possible to change teams. Sometimes you just aren't a natural fit and it's not your fault.