Teaching Experience at Secondary School

Colchester
£0 annually
May 2017

6.7/10

I would observe the teaching methods of the classes and for any group or individual work, I would get involved with helping the students to complete their work when they were in difficulty.

I developed my observational skills with regards to how teaching is done. By spending many weeks in different classes with a range of different teachers, I found that all teachers are very different with their teaching styles.

I really enjoyed the opportunities to assist in students' work and help in their understanding of the content, however, was less keen on the observations, as whilst they did help, I felt intrusive.

4. How valued do you feel by Secondary School?

I received far more recognition than I felt I had deserved. I did very little actual work helping the students and yet the teacher was always very gracious and thankful.

The work experience was rather informal, I had organised it through email so had no real structure other than to gain experience in the school enviroment to aid with UCAS applications for teacher training.

I received lots of support, every teacher I communicated with were really helpful and happy to help. I had no attitude issues against me and really enjoyed my time at the school.

I didn't receive much support excluding like arranging the weekly visits as it was all for my benefit and I was doing it.

There was no salary so any expenses paid.

As I was only there for such a short time, I was unable to get involved in any additional activities.

9a. Would you recommend Secondary School to a friend? *

It was largely beneficial to my development and experience towards teacher training and I feel it would benefit anyone planning on teaching.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Secondary School? *

Talk to careers centres and friends and families to see if they have any links into the workplaces as it is the quickest way to get a placement.