Business Administration (Finance) Apprentice at Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council

2011
West Midlands
May 2017

10 /10

Business Administration apprentice providing admin support to a busy finance team (diary management, filing, data entry and analysis, running reports, meeting minutes, handling basic queries and requests for information)

I was very nervous when I started so more than anything else I've learned to have confidence in myself. After 4 months I'm starting to get to grips with what the department does and can now handle most information requests or if not, know who I need to ask. I've also learned how to use the accounting system and improved my MS Office skills: particularly Word, Excel and Outlook.

I didn't enjoy it much to start with as it was so different than anything else I'd done before (I'd come straight from A Levels and weekend work in a fish and chip shop!) but everyone's really friendly and helpful and I've learned loads already.

4. How valued do you feel by Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council?

There are lots of apprentices around SMBC and we meet up regularly to chat and for training sessions. Everyone feels welcome and that they have an opportunity to contribute to the organisation and the community we serve.

My qualification training is very structured and my manager tries to tailor my work experience around my learning.

A lot! On top of my qualification training I get lots of on the job training and have already been on lots ofcorporate e-learning and face to face courses.

Lots of training and on the job support plus regular meet-ups and training with other apprentices around the Council

It's more than I was earning at the fish and chip shop and ok as I still live with my mum and stepdad. I wouldn't be able to afford my own place on my salary but I hope the work experience and training I'm getting will pay dividends in the end.

Not specific to the apprenticeship other than study and assignments as part of my qualification training.

9. Would you recommend Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council to a friend?

I have been made to feel very welcome and part of the team

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council?

Go for it! Don't let nerves put you off.