Junior designer at Essentials Magazine

Central London & City
May 2017

6.4/10

Graphic design at the magazine such as image retouching and page layouts plus office admin.

Learnt so much more about indesign and feel a lot more confident in using the programme. Improved my image retouching and gained practical experience in my degree field.

I really enjoyed it. The experience was so valuable to me as a 2nd year student, just wish it was less admin and solely design focused.

4. How valued do you feel by Essentials Magazine?

I think the team were surprised by how much I could do and contributed.

They had a few tasks prepared for me, but not enough to fill my time which is why I ended up doing so much admin and ad hoc tasks like sorting the mail.

They explained everything very well and made sure to check in with my progress.

My current employer are extremely supportive and I think what I did on work experience helps me on a day to day basis.

I received a capped amount for expenses only which did not cover my train costs from outside of London to the offices.

Not that I am aware of without taking up freelance as a secondary job.

9. Would you recommend Essentials Magazine to a friend?

It was a friendly team who helped me get some core skills up to scratch for the professional world.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Essentials Magazine?

Do anything asked and always volunteer yourself - make yourself busy.