Food Retail Apprentice at Co-op

2011
Wales
May 2017

Connect with Co-op

To provide a friendly, knowledgeable and efficient service to customers and colleagues. Responsibilities include checkout operations, stock control, replenishment, bake-off, news & magazines, and cash handling whilst acting as an ambassador for our Co-op membership.

Over the course of the past 2 years, I have made an effort to develop my skills and experience in numerous different ways. I have matured as an individual and my experience of working with others – both colleagues and customers – has contributed a lot to my interpersonal skills. I am also better able to see the bigger picture and how my role relates to the overall goals of the organisation. Having built up a broad range of experience, I am now much more productive in my role.

The programme allowed me to develop as an individual and a team member, so I feel I have gained a lot from the experience. I have improved in Self confidence, I have literally gotten stronger from the lifting work. It's been a great experience that I am grateful for.

4. How valued do you feel by Co-op?

The apprenticeship lead to a job, so I feel very valued by the Co-Op. They also have additional advancement courses and potential for promotion. It's a good company to work for.

Very well organised. There was very instructive paperwork. As I progressed, each section was evaluated by a tutor. At no point did I feel that I was on my own. I had access to all the information I needed at all times.

I was able to contact my tutor via email with questions and get an answer back usually the same day, but maybe a day later, which I considered to be a pretty quick turn around.

My manager was very supportive and did her best to keep me on track. I was made to feel like my qualification was very important to my manager and the company. Also my manager and team were open to questions and concerns.

Given that this is a course, I was quite please with my pay scale. Plus there were reductions for staff. But obviously all salary packages at this level could be better. That's why I am pleased that the company have good programs for advancement.

Opportunities outside of my current work department have been offered to me. There are other departments with in the Co-Op that I could move into, accounts, distribution etc but at the moment I enjoy the retail aspect of the company.

9. Would you recommend Co-op to a friend?

Because like the name suggests it really is a co-operative company at all levels. You are made to feel that we are all in it together. Even if you are just part of a retail team.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Co-op?

Keep notes, set out timetables so that you know your deadlines. I used Google Cloud applications (Drive, Calendar etc) to store my work and keep track of where I was up to. That was I didn't have to cart too much paper work around with me, it was all in the cloud and I could access it on my laptop or even my smart phone.