IST School Leaver at BP

Central London & City
School Leaver Programme
May 2017

9.2/10

I am a demurrage negotiator and am dealing with shipping costs for vessels carrying crude out of Iraq and Russia. I deal with different oil majors and state owned oil companies.

My communication skills have improved significantly, however I have mainly learned about the oil industry and how the world of business works.

I love my work and BP is a terrific company to work for. I was apprehensive at work before starting the world of work but I haven't looked back.

4. How valued do you feel by BP?

My opinion is extremely valuable to the leadership team as they seek continuous improvement, despite being further down the food chain we are listened to with great interest.

There is plenty of organisation and I feel comfortable with what I'm doing. I know who to go to if I have any issues and feel satisfied doing so.

I have a lot of support from a number of people who are in charge of different aspects of the programme. They are very knowledgeable and I have learned a lot from them.

There is plenty of support if ever I have any queries. I have different managers'tutors for different purposes whom I can go to when I deem necessary.

Salary is extraordinary for an 18 year old and I am able to live comfortably in London which says it all really. I live a 20 min walk from work in Canary Wharf in a great area.

Lots of drinks but very little variance barring that. I wish there were more sporting things like golf or squash which there used to be however I don't think BP is going down that route.

9. Would you recommend BP to a friend?

I love it, why wouldn't they. BP has a terrific work/life balance and a competitive rewards package with huge scope for improvement. If it didn't work out having a name like BP on your CV is great.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BP?

Learn about the values at BP and have a basic knowledge of the industry. The assessment day is intense but just stay relaxed. Other than that- practice practice practice!