Quantity Surveyor at Laing O'Rourke

Central London & City
School Leaver Programme
March 2017

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

I am a Trainee Quantity Surveyor working at Intu Watford. My role involves sub-contract management and cash flow of the project.

In turns of development I have imporved upon my timekeeping skills, prioritizing work. I have learnt new technical skills such as excel spreadsheets.

I enjoy working as the broad range of what my day involves changes contantly which makes it a lot more exciting. the development offered to the course is probably one of the best out there

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

I feel valued among my direct team, and fairly valued within the project. I think because of my age however I don't feel as valued among higher management.

the structure of the project is extremely good. the induction was good and there is regular training that is varied to help further

Support can be accessed from throughout the business at any time that is agreeable however they usually answer. we have been offered cadet buddies which are a year older to help and support too.

Manager there is a lot of support from and I can ask for help at whatever time. the attitude towards supporting me is generally good however It must be taken into consideration they also have a job to be getting on with

I originally thought salary was bad however taking into other costs such as travel expenses and uni fees I believe it is a fair representation. I think pay increasesshould be fixed over the 5 years and not based on performance until after the course graduates whereas here they are.

there aren't as many oppurtunites that I am aware of however I don't think they are distributed across the business as effectively as it could.

9. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend?

the development scheme on their school leavers programme is probably one of the best out of all construction companies and this is a major driver for me staying. support and networking is also very good.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke?

the advice I would give is to make sure that this is an area you are interested in. showing interest and passion for what youre applying for is a major key for hiring. also show desire and passion to learn and develop at all stages and be confident.