Technician Engineer at Laing O'Rourke

North West
School Leaver Programme
March 2017

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

My Role includes going onto site and setting out areas, creating task sheets, permits and method statements and making decisions about how we should carry out tasks.

Yes - all the time, every day I learn either a new skill or critical information

I enjoy my work, but I don't feel although I enjoy my programme events as much as I could.

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

I do not feel valued by Laing'O Rourke at all. I feel although LOR expect me to work over my required hours every day and that they do not understand that I have needs and wants outside of work. I think people who are very career dedicated and not family dedicated fit in very well at LOR, but for people who prioritize home/family life I feel although we are looked down upon.

My programme is well structured - events always go to plan and we always receive necessary training and development from our programme leaders and support.

my university does not excel at providing support. Support classes I have attended have simply been delivered by PHD students who are not engineering students.

My learning, development and training is amazing. My line manager is technically minded and not only supports me by teaching me new skills but also helps me out when I am studying for university.

I do not think it does meet my needs - there are other programmes available that offer bigger salaries and better benefits for less hours. For the time I put into work I do not feel although I see the rewards from it. I work just the same as other engineers on my project but earn considerably less. I also think it is unfair as I struggle to enjoy my salary with what I currently earn as I feel more limited than general university students in what I have to spend. I feel although the programme should offer larger salaries as the work that we do as Cadets is comparable to the work of general staff.

Yes - we have events to attend such as launch and completion events and we undertake community charity work in our local area with work

9. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend?

I don't think my friends would enjoy the working hours vs salary payoff. Although I do believe that my friends would benefit highly from the structure of the programme and the on-the-job training we receive

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke?

- Dress well - Don't be nervous - everyone here has been through the same.