Apprentice Transport Planner at Atkins

North West
March 2017

Connect with Atkins

I have already been involved in many different projects with Atkins. These include building micro-simulation models of networks. Also, I help to analyse traffic data in order to advise a better , more efficient road network.

I have learnt so much in my short time here. I am now technically much stronger, and although I still have much to learn- I am proud of my progress. I have been invited on two training courses, one in modelling and one in traffic signal training. Both have been very engaging and educational.

I am really enjoying my programme so far and I look forward to a long and successful career with Atkins.

4. How valued do you feel by Atkins?

I feel very valued by Atkins, I am involved in many projects. My manager tries to get me involved in as much as possible and I also love the social aspects of the job.

The college side has been poor so far. I have only attended for one block in the past seven months. However, I enjoy the opportunities that work has given me.

I haven't received very much support, however, I am surrounded by professionals who give time to me if I need help with anything. Although I am distant learning, I am only ever a Skype call away from help if I need it.

Lots- I am motivated by this. Training opportunities are frequent and they tend to be very informative and engaging!

I took a £20,000 pay drop to start this apprenticeship but I am managing okay. For an apprenticeship- the salary is above average.

Lots of opportunities/ networking events are available. There are constant talks/ lectures advertised in Atkins.

9. Would you recommend Atkins to a friend?

I am here for the long term. Atkins is full of passionate, knowledgeable and helpful people. You will have a great career filled with development.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Atkins?

Stay calm, ask questions. You will learn a lot! It's okay to make mistakes, just make sure that you learn from them. Be polite and respectful at all times- it's imperative to developing your own positive personal brand. ,