1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
I am an apprentice within the structures team and I am currently on a job inspecting and writing reports for STW on their pipe bridges. When I am not on site inspecting the pipes I am writing formal reports giving the scores of each bridge.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
I have learnt that communication is important between teams and companies to enable a project to go well.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
I really enjoy my programme. I am extremely grateful that Atkins are paying for me to gain a higher qualification and allow me to work on their team.
4. How valued do you feel by Atkins?
I feel valued most of the time however sometimes I get worried about my future prospects within the company as my contract is only 2 years.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The programme is quite organised however I feel there could be more done to tell and explain to apprentices what will happen at the end of the programme.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
I receive a good amount of support. If I am ever stuck about my course I know I always have support there.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
I receive a decent amount of support from my employer. I feel for people who aren't comfortable with talking it may be hard to talk about things as you have to approach someone about an issue rather than them asking you.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
I feel more under pressure than other apprentices with the work I'm doing as they mainly do CAD whereas I am writing reports so feel like I am underpaid.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
I feel like there are but they aren't advertised by the company and you have to search yourself.
9. Would you recommend Atkins to a friend?
I feel like they provide a great start to anyone looking to go into civil engineering when they're older.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Atkins?
Be confident and yourself! Atkins love diversity so talk about things other than academic studies
More from AtkinsMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!