Trainee Surveyor at Atkins

Yorkshire & The Humber
Degree Apprenticeship
March 2017

Connect with Atkins

Trainee Surveyor - I help out with general task around the office as well as comp check documents to make sure there aren't any mistakes. Slowly I am getting more responsibility with more difficult tasks such as helping construct feasibility reports etc...

I am constantly developing new skills and improving on existing skills. I am able to attend CPD sessions in addition to my university tutelage which are really helpful in improving my understanding as well as giving me a way of linking my learning back to the construction industry.

The office I work in is large but extremely open and friendly. The work I receive is balanced well, in that it doesn't exceed my capabilities but is slowly growing my knowledge and pushing me to improve my abilities.

4. How valued do you feel by Atkins?

I feel very valued by Atkins and am extremely happy in my apprenticeship. I am treated as an equal by all members of staff, despite my limited knowledge and experience.

My university programme is a distance learning course which I access online. It is fairly well structured in that the content is easy to access, however I feel that they should release the most relevant information to our assignments much earlier, rather than leaving it for the last few weeks before the assignment is due.

I receive a fair amount of support, but would personally find it easier if I could meet my tutors face-to-face.

I receive a massive amount of support from my employer and know I can approach my line manager with any issues I might have and they will be resolved.

My salary meets my living costs, but doesn't leave much left over for social costs and nothing for savings. This means I am struggling to try to save for a house deposit, but know this will change with time.

I am unsure of what this question refers to. If it refers to secondments, I have had one 3-day secondment in 6 months of working here.

9. Would you recommend Atkins to a friend?

They are a friendly and conscientious employer who look after their staff and provide ample training and support.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Atkins?

Be yourself. Atkins loves individuality and confidence. If you have passion and drive to succeed you will be a desirable candidate for Atkins.