Document Controller at Laing O'Rourke

Wales
School Leaver Programme
February 2017

Connect with Laing O'Rourke

Even though I am studying a Civil engineering degree, they have assisted me by allowing me to change role to Document Control as we await my current project to start up. It involves knowing a large amount of information about a large scale project. I am in charge of all the data that comes in through Asite. Ensuring it all reaches BIM level 2 requirements. There are quieter times but this allows me to extend my knowledge.

In the past year I have obtained a first aid at work cert, and a 3 day course on setting out. This is my final year of study for my HNC which I will be able to complete in June.

The teams I have been involved in have encouraged me to grow and bloom. The people make the business.. however I do believe as I am not London based I get less opportunity for extra activities.

4. How valued do you feel by Laing O'Rourke?

When they told me they would try their best to support me when I was ill, they were able to move me closer to home, support my work-life balance and change my job role to allow all of this. This made me feel truly valued in the business as they did all they could to support me.

The structure is currently changing - I believe that they allowed my cohort to be too large to allow the correct amount of support that each individual needs.

At university - there is little to no support, I now have to travel 3.5 hours each way to get there. And at times many lectures are cancelled or a complete waste of time. London SouthBank University

As a close team there is a large amount of support, and HC are available whenever needed. On a larger scale it goes to global to allow support to be priority one.

I have now lost mobility allowance - this has HALVED my pay. I will now be struggling rather than being confortable as I was before.

There are often many activities - but for London based people. Site do hold events but less frequently.

9. Would you recommend Laing O'Rourke to a friend?

OPPORTUNITY IS HUGE.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Laing O'Rourke?

Be prepared to be shocked. But do your best to learn from all the people around you. Be Yourself - my interviewer still remembers my assessment day!