Degree Apprentice - Exhaust Systems (Project Engineer) at Jaguar Land Rover

Coventry
Degree Apprenticeship
1st February 2017

8.6/10

Exhaust Project Engineer. Cover the delivery of exhaust systems across all engine variants for a particular programme. Daily duties may include testing, assisting with CAD design, managing part releases and changes, liaising with other compartments, e.g. engine calibration and managing suppliers.

Currently working towards a BEng in Applied Engineering. Have NVQ Level 2's in a number of disciplines including welding, milling and turning. Learnt how the business operates and many of the processes followed in my department. Learnt what external changes may affect my programme and how they might affect it, e.g. changing emission standards and cycles. Learnt how to interact with a large number of different departments and people.

I enjoy coming to work, especially when I know that something interesting will be happening that day. The team and wider teams are helpful and friendly, and I can easily talk to them regarding queries etc. I enjoy the nature of my job and what it entails.

Highly, they invest a lot into the apprenticeship programme and it is noticeable, especially compared to other apprenticeships about. Managers seem keen to take on apprentices and display a large amount of understanding for the course and treat you as an equal.

Inductions are regular, especially where Health & Safety is concerned. Training is readily available, free and enjoyable. There is plenty of support, from many aspects including my Mentor, Manager, other colleagues and HR. Tasks are regularly delegated to me, often challenging me but never putting me out of my depth meaning I am always eager to engage.

Tutors are mostly supportive, with some exceptions, however JLR often seeks to resolve these issues.

There is plenty of support, with regular reviews to discuss and resolve issues. HR is quick to respond.

At 18 I moved away from home to live with 3 other apprentices on the same course. We have more than adequate funds to live on.

A lot of apprentices organise social events outside of work by choice. To date I have done the following: Nights out, meals out, paintballing, cinema and lots more.

They offer one of the best apprenticeship programmes available. I am confident I made the correct decision, as I received offers from more than one employer, including Rolls-Royce and BAE Systems.

Read the company core values!