Higher Apprentice at Jaguar Land Rover

Liverpool
Degree Apprenticeship
27th January 2017

5.0/10

Higher Apprentice for Jaguar Land Rover, now half way through my fourth year and have started my final placement. The first three years are very broad and incorporate a wide range of training criteria but now I am specialising in the press shop as a maintenance engineer. Day to day I am responsible for the upkeep of four press lines, checking through daily shift reports, planning maintenance activities, ordering spares and organising projects to increase the life of the press and improve it's performance.

I have completed a NVQ level 3 and HNC, and am now working towards my NVQ level 4 and my degree. I am offered plenty of internal training courses, and have completed cherry picker, sissor lift, mafi, risk assessing, CoSHH and a lifting and operations management course.

Generally the training is very good, however the external training provider during my first year was incredibly poor.

I enjoy my program and think it offers me great prospects, my current team are very supportive, however, management and university lecturers do not appreciate the stress and work load we have. Uni treat me like a full time student, and work like a full time employee, so there is no life balance.

Please see question 3. However, due to being based at Halewood as an apprentice we often feel distanced and forgotten about as opposed to those who train in the midlands.

During my time, there has been a lack of continuity in the management style and it often feels like nobody understands what is going on. The apprentice management are based 100 miles away and have a very limited involvement with their apprentices at Halewood.

I have monthly meetings with my training officer and I know they are always on site to provide any support that I may need. Everyone from the training provider team is very approachable and it's super convenient that they have an office on site if we need them.

There is little to no support from my employer with my apprenticeship as now I am in my final area I am treated like any of the other engineers in the office. More support would be appreciated, especially in the form of a mentor.

JLR apprentices are very well paid, we get expenses for time at uni, as well as accommodation paid for. The salary is easily enough to live on, however again there are discrepancies across the sites, with Halewood not having access to the same facilities that the other sites do.

It is very hard to have a life outside of work while on the apprenticeship, as I work a 40 hour week, sometimes having to work weekends and shutdown as that is the nature of the job. However, with all the uni work on top having any form of life that isn't somehow link to work is impossible.

I would recommend it as the prospects are very good, the qualifications are highly valued by other employers and the salary is very attractive. Working for the most successful UK car manufacturer also gives me great pride as an employee.

The application process is long and there is often a lack of communication from JLR, so keep emailing them asking for updates on the status of your application. The interview day is long, and lunch is not provided which is a bit of a joke. Have a varied life and get as much relate-able experience before applying but be prepared not to have a life once you start.