Degree Apprentice - Exhaust Systems at Jaguar Land Rover

Warwickshire
Degree Apprenticeship

8.8/10

I am a degree apprentice and I will be working in the exhaust systems department at work to become a lead engineer by the time my apprenticeship is completed. I will be responsible for leading programs/projects in the team and will learn to manage a team as my apprenticeship moves forward. Currently, I am working on an initial build phase for my program.

I have completed my first year of the apprenticeship and have acquired some skills to help with the academic side of my apprenticeship. At the workplace, I have completed the required training to aid me with the work I am having to complete.

The programme so far has been very enjoyable and has been above my expectations. Everyone at the workplace are very supportive and it is good to see everyone working together as a team. Furthermore, it is just not my team that works together, the whole company has a good attitude towards working together and therefore are happy to help when needed.

With regular behavioural reviews, I am assessed frequently and I feel like my manager understands my situation and is very supportive. As my time at work increases, my workload increases with it. I am getting more involved with the projects at work and am integrating with the team well.

There was a 2 week induction for my programme which introduced me to how the 6 years will be organised for me. Regular training is available for me to complete to aid me with my work. Whilst working in the team, I am also studying to complete the degree.

I have 2 mentors to guide me at the workplace. The guide me to the right direction when I am facing challenges and are also happy to support me when needed. I enjoy working with them as they work with me on how I need to deal with certain problems.

My manager and mentors are putting in the work to ensure that my time at the workplace runs smoothly and so that I am up to speed with what is going around me. They are always happy to guide me and if for some reason they can't, they will guide me to the right person for advice.

My salary package is excellent. I am currently living at home, hence my costs are low and cover my daily costs well. With regular pay rises, I am able to manage all my costs well.

There are many company events which I can attend if I want to. Also, the company has many sponsors and have a good relationship with many other companies. Hence, there are many offers that I am allowed to use if I want to.

It is a great company and provides opportunities to individuals which can help them grow and achieve greater goals. The company provides great rewards if the individual puts the work in. Therefore, recognition in the company for the hard work is very good.

The initial test for the apprenticeship are testing general knowledge, but the assessment centre is something to prepare for. Work experience always helps increase your knowledge for the interviews. I would have liked to know more about the university process before I joined the company.