Engineering Apprentice at Jaguar Land Rover

Gaydon
Degree Apprenticeship
25th January 2017

9.4/10

I am a Body CAD apprentice so during the first year I study at college all year doing a foundation degree - in half term, we go into plant on placement where we work along side jlr engineers.

I have learned many new practical skills such as welding, milling, engine build and CNC. I have also developed my team building skills and my confidence working with other people who are more experienced than myself

I really enjoy the programme - especially plant weeks. I am particularly looking forward to next year where we will be in plant 4 days a week, then college once.

As a body CAD apprentice, I feel very valued as part of the both the apprentice and workplace teams.

The college and Body CAD are very organised - however, sometimes communication between jlr and the college can be poor which causes some issues with timetabling

We have work-based learning managers who we meet with every 6 weeks. Here, we discuss behavioural reviews and how we are getting on with our studies/work.

The work-based learning managers are in the work place too where we also meet them. Our body CAD manager is very supportive and knows each apprentice very well so he can help improve our skills.

The salary is very good and I am able to rent a flat.

JLR offer an employee learning scheme where they fund us to try out new skills and experiences such as rock climbing and languages.

They offer more than a job. It is a new learning experience and the skills we learn will enable us a career for life.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Seek advise from those with more experience. Look at all paths to reach your goal because there's always more than one way.