CDS Office Category Support Apprentice at Microsoft

2011
Reading

7.4/10

My role involved supporting the Office team within Microsoft by providing them with daily data updates. I also work alongside partner companies such as Amazon and Argos to ensure we are getting the best for our products.

I have developed my skills using Excel, and also improved my presentation skills

I enjoy my job in the sense that it is a fantastic opportunity for me. However it is not a role I would wish to stay in for a long period of time as I feel my creative mind is of little use so far.

4. How valued do you feel by Microsoft?

I feel highly valued at Micosoft. Data I have presented has been used in presentations higher up the company. I have also built good relationships with the people I work with.

My programme is well structured. There is a clear hierarchy within my team and department. My training is also well structured with monthly reviews with my assessor and training days,=.

We receive some support, however the communication can be difficult. For example, we may receive different instructions or information from different people.

My manager supports me hugely with my 60 day plan and weekly 1 to 1's. She always asks what I'm getting on with and how I'm doing with it which I like because it keeps me on track.

I think I am earning a very good salary for an apprentice. It meets my costs and I am satisfied with this salary this early in my working life.

There are lots of opportunitites to get involved with othet groups. For example I am part of a group called Get On which runs and attends events to try and encourage younng people to persue careers in technology

9a. Would you recommend Microsoft to a friend? *

Because it is a company with so many opportunities. It has already changed me for the better in terms of my working life and personal life too. The fast working pace of a company of this size has really helped keep me focussed.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Microsoft? *

Don't be put off by the number of people that apply and think there is no chance for you. I thought the same and applied thinking I wouldn't get a job, but now I'm here it has been the best thing I've done.