Sales Support Specialist at Pearson Business School

Degree Apprenticeship
1st January 2017

Connect with Pearson Business School

9.4/10

I have a regular role as a Sales Support Specialist at IBM. I am treated like any regular employee and I work at IBM from Monday to Thursday. On Friday's I attend University at Pearson College. This is a really good programme as I have the opportunity to put all my knowledge learnt at university to the test in a real life work situation.

Throughout my time there , aside from the main modules as part of my degree, my employer has expensed for me to attend widely recognized qualifications in topics such as Agile management and ITIL foundation. This has really boosted my CV and will definitely help when I will be applying for future jobs/roles.

In some aspects, the degree apprenticeship has exceeded my expectations; the lecturers are really friendly and supportive and my team at work help me to develop new skills and experiences as they know I am still new to the world of work.

4. How valued do you feel by Pearson Business School?

At work, I am treated than any other regular employee- this makes me feel like a true and proud IBMer. At both university and university, we are always praised on our good work; they sometimes even host celebration nights for us!

As this is the first year of this degree apprenticeship programme, some things have not been thoroughly planned out - however lecturers and the employers work really hard to make up fr those instances- i strongly believe they will know what to do better for next year and that future students will have an awesome time!

Tutors are really easy to reach- whatsapp, phone call, email, or even as simple as walking into the staff room to talk to them. They are always checking how we are doing with our assignments as well as having private discussions where we can open up to them if we are having any issues at work which we don't want to talk about with our manager at work. Relationships are more of a friend to friend than a lecturer to student.

My manager is very supportive and is always a phone call away if I need anything; either that be university related or work related. He ensures I am happy in my work environment and supports me and guides me when i am struggling. Just what any apprentice would need!

We all know London is expensive on its own as it is! Luckily, all the employers and university are based at walking distance between each other (in the heart of London) so your travel costs are only those commuting into London dependent on where you live. Some employers even let you work from home which is always lovely every once in a while.
Also, the starting wage is 15k which is already greater than any normal apprenticeship salary and your tuition fees are paid for by your employer and Pearson college. Depending on your employer, you may also get a pay rise throughout your time there!

This year new sports teams and events/games nights have started up. The school council are actually always keen to hear for new ideas and have some funding to help you start up the club you would like to create/attend at uni! Also, you can join clubs and attend events at your employer; not only from uni- there are lots of opportunities to build your network too

9a. Would you recommend Pearson Business School to a friend? *

It involves both classroom based learning,working and gaining experience to develop your CV, as well as earning a salary! What more do you need? Assessment days are really fun and the lecturers are really friendly!!!

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Pearson Business School? *

If you are stuck deciding between taking a year out to work, an apprenticeship or going to uni, the degree apprenticeship programme is your go to option; a compromise of them all! Make sure you research the company you would like to work for really well though; as any job interview, you want to impress so they will remember you!