Network Operations and Expansion Engineer at Virgin Media

Dudley

Connect with Virgin Media

Apprentice Network Engineer, includes learning the fundamentals of HFC and Telephony knowledge, network architecture and personal administration. The scheme lasts 12 months due to my back ground at Virgin Media already qualifying from a level 2 apprenticeship. My new role consists of fixing network faults and carrying out day to day maintenance to keep the network working efficiently.

I have now got my ECS card and my G39 electrical course. I have also developed great knowledge and skills within HFC and Telephony networking.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my apprenticeship, it has opened up a whole new career aspect for myself. Although I do not wish to leave the company I have now got great skills and knowledge behind me to progress further within the company.

4. How valued do you feel by Virgin Media?

I feel incredibly valued. I have been given the tools and learning to perform my new role and learn it with ease. My apprentice manager has provided great support.

The structure has a set plan, it is very organised, the work is set into individual plans and with access to Smart Assessor this makes it much easier to complete as we can upload work remotely.

We received lots of support from our apprentice manager. He always answers his phone and answers any questions we ask.

As a company, I feel valued that they have offered me great support.

It is a lot more than I expected, which is a great bonus. A wage which you could live on easily.

Yes there are great opportunities for work, different companies have different job roles which collaborate with your set of skills and knowledge.

9a. Would you recommend Virgin Media to a friend? *

Virgin Media looks after its employees, whether you've been here months, days or years. You are like everyone else. We have a great team at employee services who deal with every request!

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Virgin Media? *

Go for it. You will enjoy every moment that you have here at Virgin Media. We engage in activities like, army camp days, trips to Tanzania for charity, etc... On top of all this you learn good skills and become very independent. 3 years ago I worked at McDonalds, now I'm an expert in HFC, Telephony and have great knowledge in networking and fibre optics.