Auto Rig Fitter at Jaguar Land Rover

Gaydon
26th July 2016

9.6/10

I work in structural test laboratories carrying out technician work to support engineers carry out strength and durability testing. My job can change from day to day, and varies from jobs such as changing samples of car parts such as mounts and bushes, to placing whole cars on simulation test rigs.

Not only have I picked up the most qualifications and the most useful qualifications during my time here, the experience has been invaluable. Internal training courses such as crane training and hydraulic safety training have been available to me. College based training included machining practices, engineering mathematics, H&S and material testing BTEC qualifications, as well as city and guilds.

The programme has been challenging and for the most part has been enjoyable. Parts of college training has been a challenge but I have managed to make my way through it.

As the department has evolved during the past few years, my responsibility has increased exponentially and for that reason I feel JLR values my input.

The structure has for the most part been brilliant, but aspects of college training could have been more relevant to my job role, although I have gained qualifications I may be able to use in the future.

I receive as much support as I request from my training provider so I cannot fault them in anyway.

JLR is always first rate when providing support and always has been. They take an interest in individuals and make sure they are there to help us with issues inside and outside of work.

No other apprentice has come close to the wage we earn. Top marks.

The company provides a services known as ELS (employee learning scheme) which £200 is given to us by the company to undertake any task outside of work we would like. Plenty of opportunity.

No other better engineering firm who looks after you and has as much as an interesting job as anywhere else in Britain.

Dive in feet first and enjoy yourself. Do not panic in high pressure situations because help is always available. Do not let the first year of the apprenticeship put you off as it can prove a daunting year. After making through the first year, you are on the downhill slope.