Pressure, Control and Storage Engineer Apprentice at National Grid

Stoke-on-Trent
23rd June 2016

I am part of pressure, control and storage and maintain all forms of mechanical equipment. We travel to various sites across the region to perform various maintenance tasks.

We each undertake a BTEC in mechanical engineering, an NVQ in mechanical maintenance and various other courses such as confined spaces, first aid and working at heights.

The courses have been brilliant and enabled me to improved existing skills and learn new ones.

The programme is very good and generally well structured. We get a balanced amount of time at home on site and away on courses.

4. How valued do you feel by National Grid?

I could not rate the apprentiship highly enough and everybody is always helpful and supportive when needed.

Quite well structured. We receive our timetables for the year so we can plan our leave and time on site. Sometimes there are changes but we are informed and I would say the programme is well structured as a whole.

Support is always available, at college, site or the other training centres.

Support is always available if we need it and we get a company phone, computer and IPad to help us keep in touch with anyone we may need.

Being a little older I have had to take a decrease in pay but for an apprentiship the pay is good and the expensive with the company van help a lot. I chose to do this scheme because is well worth it in the end.

There are some but being busy with work and courses I haven't been able to take part in any.

9a. Would you recommend National Grid to a friend? *

Good company, good pay, good conditions and you will have a job for life.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to National Grid? *

Be prepared for some time away from home and doing some work in your own time, but stick with it because it's well worth it in the end.