Apprentice Fabricator at BAE Systems

glasgow
16th June 2016

8.3/10

As an apprentice fabricator for BAE systems, Each day comes with different challenging tasks which put my skills to the test whilst learning in the process. I work in the steelwork industry as it is very different from my previous retail career I find everyday exciting and challenging. From working small jobs of fitting small parts to aligning large units everyday is rewarding as I'm learning non stop.

I have gained my PEO level 2 in college in my first year and now working towards my level 3 where I will complete my apprenticeship. but the skills throughout my job that I have learned include thermal cutting, welding, marking off, many more and traditional shipyard tricks of the trade.

Everyday is a different day which I look forward to because I'll challenge my skill level on the coming job and I'll also gain expereince from it. It is a very productive job and always busy.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

Apprentices are valued as the future so training coarse are thrown at us left right and centre to sail us through our career path full of knowledge for steelwork.

the programme is structured well as it is step by step guidance into a new world as it is not a common job to just step into and there is a lot to learn to master the skills required.

The training officer has little communication but the supervisors and managers offer as much help as possible for our log books which are completed online.

they give us the appropriate training and extra training is provided if needed or requested to further educated skills within the buisness. They give us updates when coarses are available.

The pay is icredible and for me it will raise soon then again for the final time once I have qualified. It was by far more than what I was earning befor ebut overtime is available to 3rd year apprentices who wish to earn a little extra.

there aren't any that I know of coming up. But previously there was an open day for a career opportunity for youngsters leaving school to see if they are interested in joining the company.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

Great pay, Trade for life, opportunity to expand education and career path, and it it a job for life. most employees have already been here for over 30 years and counting.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Have a high knowledge of the company mostly as I didnt know much before hand but I know the ins and outs of what we do and are doing which came second nature.