Body CAD Engineer at Jaguar Land Rover

Royal Leamington Spa

6.4/10

My role within JLR is a body engineer. In the apprenticeship this role will develop me into becoming a world class CAD and CAE engineer by working as part of a team to develop the vehicles produced by the company. This first year I am at college learning the foundations for the apprenticeship.

Within this first year at college I have learnt many new skills in the workshops. These include welding, turning and milling.

This year at college can be a bit tedious. However, I am looking forward to moving into plant within the next few months to begin the actual work that we will be doing in our career.

During our few weeks we have had at plant during this first year I have felt very valued by Jaguar Land Rover as they have involved me in a number of tasks and made me aware of external recognition in terms of awards which I can work towards.

The apprenticeship itself seems to be well organised in its structure. However, the college during our first sometimes lacks this and is almost indecisive in what we need to be doing at times.

We receive a fair amount of support mainly from behavioural reviews with our work based learning managers which help us with our progress.

The salary for the job is fairly good but living in the local area around the college and place of work is very expensive meaning I can not save as much as I would hope to.

Whilst we are still at college we have limited access to the company meaning that at the moment I am unaware of any real opportunities outside of work.

Overall the company is very good in terms of its support to its employees and the apprenticeship provides good training and career prospects.

Work hard and be confident.