Telecoms Apprentice at Network Rail

Across NW

Connect with Network Rail

7.8/10

As a telecoms apprentice, I spend most days working with a technician - we have a conference call in the morning where we decide on the day's work, then go out and do it! Every 3 months I spend 2 weeks back at the Training Centre doing more training.

As well as the job-specific skills to do with telecoms maintenance and fault diagnosis, I've developed communication and presentation skills, as well as First Aid, Health & Safety and Railway safety.

Very enjoyable day-to-day.

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

Apprentices are genuinely seen as the future at Network Rail, and I feel very valued by everyone I meet.

The programme is fairly well organised. However, as Telecoms is a small discipline, some aspects of the program feel designed for Track/Signalling, and don't work quite as well for us.

Good support throughout first year during full-time training. Training in y2/3 is supplied by employer.

Lots of support available if needed, both locally and through the apprenticeship team if needed.

Year 2 salary meets my costs adequately.

Lots of activities outside work in the first year. Year2 is much more dependent on local manager and area.

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

Good company to work for, good scheme, good prospects at the end of it.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *