Audit Trainee at Smith & Williamson

Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
3rd June 2016

8.9/10

I am a Audit Apprentice in the London office. I work as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy tasks for our diverse client base. I complete audit programmes and form conclusions on each individual test and section completed, develop an understanding of our client’s and their businesses and look for any issues that may need escalating to my manager.

I have built on my presentation skills, my commercial awareness and my timekeeping has got a lot better. Throughout the 5 years I will be studying towards the CFAB and ACA qualifications. There are a lot of opportunities to develop yourself personally and professionally.

I am really enjoying my time here, the firm is traditional with current day values. The team are great, we have an open plan office, so I can have direct access to those I am working with - partners don't sit in offices.

4. How valued do you feel by Smith & Williamson?

I do feel valued by the firm. Those in more senior positions are very quick to thank you for your work, you definitely feel appreciated.

It is a fairly structured programme, from the two day induction at the very beginning, right the way through to joining college and having the internal training. We are given a schedule in advance so nothing comes as a surprise.

All of our CFAB and ACA exams and training takes place externally, but is tutor led which is brilliant as you can ask questions when you are unsure. The classes are only 20 - 25 people, so you do get a lot of face time with the tutor. S&W offer exam leave and study periods so you don't have to balance the qualification with your work.

A lot of support personally and professionally. All those above me have been through the same process, they know how hard it is so will give you the support you ask for.

It is a good starting salary and I get time off in lieu for any over time I work - I don't think this happens in many places.

Lots - we are a social firm and a social team. Whether it is an impromptu team dinner/drinks, a client event or a game of football there is usually something going on. My cohort of apprentices get together quite often.

9a. Would you recommend Smith & Williamson to a friend? *

It is a nice firm to work for, the scheme is small so you get to know your peers, colleagues and you do have the opportunity to make an impact from day one.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Smith & Williamson? *

Be thorough when answering the questions on the application form and if you make it to the interview then be yourself, the people that work here are very friendly and want you to succeed.