Aerospace Engineering Apprentice at BAE Systems

Preston
24th May 2016

8.2/10

I am an aerospace engineering apprentice, I work 4 days a week. Mondays consist of college work to achieve the NVQ and the other three days are spent on the shop floor in the training centre completing work on different sections such as machining, fitting, electronics and CAD. I am given tasks to complete by my instructor who then inspects the work.

I feel that I have developed a wide range of skills whilst on my apprenticeship both practical and more academic. I have learnt to program milling and turning machines, the basics of Autodesk inventor, fitting and metal work techniques.

I really enjoy the apprenticeship as it is a good mix of practical and academic which suits me well. I have a good group of friends on the course and the general environment is friendly.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

I feel that apprentices are highly valued in the company and we are looked after well. we also have a lot of opportunity for reward eg. apprentice of the year.

I feel that my program is well organised, there is very little time spent when we are unsure of the task or do not have one. The first two week induction was highly informative and useful. We are supported well by the instructors however college can at times be slightly distanced.

From the instructors in the training centre we have a very high level of support. We can go to them with any issues, whether it is work related or personal. College could do with some improvement in terms of out of hours support but there are after college sessions that you can attend.

BAE are the training provider so the levels of care and support are very high; we have instructors that are very involved and care for the apprentices. They seem to be proactive in supporting you.

Although in the first year the hourly rate of your wage is below minimum wage I believe that this is a fair salary overall as you are receiving training at the same time. Your salary increases steadily throughout the training program and is quite high towards the end of the course.

There are football teams that you can join and the social club at one of the sites. There are regular company events for the local community and charities that we are notified about and can take part in easily.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

It is a good company to work for as there are a lot of opportunities for both career development and travel within the business. The salary is competitive and the company cares for its employees.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

I would recommend learning about the business before applying and doing the interview as this can be advantageous in the process. I would also recommend having an interesting relevant project to bring into the interview.