1. Please give an overview of your role and what this involves on a day-to-day basis:
Right now I am completing the more 'student' part of my apprenticeship. Our first year is spent away from home learning courses. This requires me to attend our academy every week day and completing assignments outside of work.
2. Have you learnt any new skills or developed existing skills?
Yes I have learnt to be a more confident public speaker as well as more practical skills like wiring an electrical system.
3. To what extent do you enjoy your programme?
My programme is very enjoyable I feel my class has become an effective team. Network Rail has tried their best to cultivate this.
4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?
I understand I am at the very beginning of my career and Network Rail encourages me to be the best I can be.
5. How well organised/structured is your programme?
The programme is organised far in advance and everybody knows what needs to be done. This includes teaching, contact with management and how our company works.
6a. How much support do you receive from your training provider?
We have 6-weekly review meetings with an apprentice support officer and we can go to our instructors at any time with problems.
6b. How much support do you receive from your employer?
We can go to a whole range of people if we have problems.
7. How well does your salary/package meet your costs?
Network Rail provides us with food, accommodation and reduced travel. The rest we can spend on what we want.
8. Are there many opportunities outside of work?
We have many sport activities. I believe this aspect is where this apprenticeship lacks the most.
9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *
9b. Why? *
It is an interesting career path that looks like it has a large potential for success, doing something that helps society.
10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *
The first year I applied I didn't get in, the year after I volunteered on a heritage railway, I believe this helped massively during my application.
More from Network RailMore Reviews Company Profile
Get personalised jobs straight to your inbox
Save time job hunting - get tailored job opportunities sent straight to you!