Management Accounting Assistant at Civil Service

South East
May 2016

Connect with Civil Service

My role is that of a management accountant and so my daily role typically involves checking and collating financial information for the relevant business areas I am assigned to.

Prior to joining the civil service I had no accounting knowledge and am now able to perform tasks such as accruing and forecasting confidently and effectively.

The programme has certainly exceeded my initial expectations of what I thought I would enjoy within an accountancy role.

4. How valued do you feel by Civil Service?

Numerous events with senior leadership figures across the civil service have been organised specifically for apprentices and they have a team who contacts us regularly.

It is specified when I will receive training for each unit of my course and they are balanced out over the 2 years of the apprenticeship.

My training provider offers an assessor as well as a helpline, online and physical learning materials and regular emails.

My colleagues and manager are very supportive and accomodating but the wider civil service offers little more than regular emails.

The course itself and training (including travel costs) are paid entirely by my employer and the salary is very generous.

Multiple marketing opportunities have been offered to me by the wider civil service and I have been asked for contributions within my specific organisation by our marketing team.

9. Would you recommend Civil Service to a friend?

The opportunities and salary are very competitive and represent an excellent option for anyone pursuing the chance to earn and learn simultaneously.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Civil Service?

It is paramount to appear confident and assured in your conduct and to have all of your identity documents already prepared for when attending the group interview as I am sure many of the other candidates' aspirations were defeated by their not making it over this hurdle.