ESA DM at Civil Service

Central London & City
May 2016

Connect with Civil Service

On a daily basis I am a decision maker for the Department for Work and Pensions. I work on the ESA team, with a big responsibility to make effective and well judged decisions on peoples benefit claims.

From my experience so far I have become a more confident person being able to communicate with either customers or fellow colleagues in a professional way. I have also been sent on internal training courses.

I enjoy working with the team that I have been placed in. It is extremely convenient to get to my place of work with only a 40 minute journey from door to door. However I don't like the job that I am currently undertaking with the pressure of the ever increasing targets.

4. How valued do you feel by Civil Service?

I do feel valued by the Civil Service as this is reflected through the pay that I am receiving at a young age to the opportunities that I have been offered in just 8 months of working for the Civil Service. As well the flexibility and Annual leave entitlement is very good.

At the start the organisation of the programme was very poor. However as I have slowly got settled into the role, the support and guidance that I am now receiving is good. Also the organisation has improved.

I do receive some support however they are slow to reply to e-mails regarding help or feedback from work submissions.

From my employer I have received lots of support especially my Line Manager and work place mentor.

My salary at the moment is good for my age. However in the future I do want to see an increase to this.

Yes there are some opportunities in connection with the job

9. Would you recommend Civil Service to a friend?

Because I feel as though they are a good organisation to work for with many positives.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Civil Service?

Make sure to have an open mind as the Civil Service has such a vast array of opportunities and jobs within.