Track Engineer at Network Rail

2010
LLandudno
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
4th May 2016

Connect with Network Rail

Track Engineer I am a member of a maintenance team that helps to maintain the signal, track, power and telecoms equipment. I work outdoors in all weathers using automated and manual tools. Routine tasks - Walk the track checking for cracks in the line- Emergency repairs and track renewal - shovelling ballast. Very physical job I have to be physically fit and prepared to do any task that is required.

I have achieved engineering qualifications whilst receiving on the job training. There is a lot of studying but there is a good balance of classroom learning and hands on. I have learnt the importance of communication and how to be a good team player.

Fantastic - I have enjoyed every moment. My colleagues have been supportive and encouraged me to have the confidence to push myself and achieve my potential. The culture of the Company - valuing employees - is esential to the success of the programme. I live, sleep and breathe trains now!

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

I have worked for a number of companies since leaving school at 16yrs and I am proud to work for Network Rail. They have given me an opportunity to learn and develop as a person that I am very grateful for. They culture within Network Rail empowered me and gave me the confidence to fulfill my potential. Collaegues were supportive - I knew I was working towards a goal - so put all my effort into doing well.

Programme wqas well organised though we did have some of our training cancelled. I had plenty of time to study though I needed more during the time working week to complete the NVQ.

Fantastic support - always supportive and positive. Had the best 3 years of my life.

My manager is very positive and is willing to help meand offer advise whenever I request it.

I manage on my salary - the cost of living is reasonable in Wales but will be gald when I am earning a decent wage.

I am a home owner so there are always jobs to do -so I dont have much time to socialise outside of work.

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

An outstanding employer that offers REAL training and the opportunity to fulfill potential. Its a pity more employers dont recognise the need for more workl based traning.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *

Do plenty of research about the Company - really know and understand the business and the role being applied for. Its a long process but worth it.