Designer at BAE Systems

Barrow-in-Furness
4th May 2016

Iam a Hull Designer working on both the outputs and modelling side of the design aspect of the buisiness. I used my skills and knowledge gained from my time on the shop floor to aid me in my work.

I have learnt to use the FORAN designing tool set and the Siemens team center tool that is used throughout the buisiness. I have also had many courses on interpersonnal skills.

I find it very interesting and enjoyable as because I come from a production back ground it is very interesting to me to see the design and engineering side of the buisiness.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

I feel very valued as a BAE systems employee as ude to the nature of the scheme I am on I feel that I have brought alot of knowledge from the shop floor to the design role that I am in now.

The program is very well organised as I have both on the job experience and blocks of theory work where I learn about the roles of designers from different disciplines and other engineering roles.

I recieve any support I need from my training providor for example as I have not done maths for a few years the training team got a graduate to help me with any aspects of the maths I find difficult.

I recieve any support I need from my employer such as any time off I might require to go to collage and time to go and be tutored by a graduate.

The package meets my costs well although I coud do with more overtime as I was used to being on shifts however the basic rate that I am on now more than covers my living expenses.

I have not had any opportunities outside of work as of yet although I do know that the company does provide them I just have a busy social life and like to keep my time outside of work to myself.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

It is a good company to work for with opportunity for both academic and career advancement. The company will also provide lots of support should you have any issues with your personnal life.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Ensure you have something good to talk about during your interview and don't get too nervous during the aptitude test. Also just relax during the interview.