Funeral Director at Co-op

Wales
April 2016

Connect with Co-op

As a Funeral Director my daily tasks involve arranging and conducting funerals, interacting and communicating with colleagues and the general public. I visit the local shops to interact and get to know the locals so they also know me. I am responsible for my team on and off funerals and assist and offer support for them on a daily basis with work and personal issues.

I have developed a greater understanding of the responsibilities of a Funeral Director and developed my knowledge in the different aspects of the Funeral industry.

I enjoyed my programme as I had support off my fellow colleagues and a lot of support off my assessor Cassandra Tucker who was supportive and helpful throughout.

4. How valued do you feel by Co-op?

I feel slightly valued by the co-op.

I thought the programme was structured well and I met my targets that were set out. it helped me keep to deadlines of completing the tasks and I knew I'd get constructive feedback off my assessor.

I could not fault my assessor and she was always willing to help and very supportive. she was willing for me to contact her if I needed advice or guidance and would always get back to me with any advice needed or to give me positive feedback.

I had support off my employer as they let me develop my skills and learn on the job as well as carry out research to complete the assessments. I was offered support off other colleagues and pointed in the right direction by management when I needed advice.

I believe I am paid a fair wage by the company but its sometimes frustrating when I work over my 45.5 hours and don't get anything back off the company. I also think the holiday allowance should be displayed in days not hours as this has caused confusion and led to me losing a days wage as I was led to believe I had enough holidays but wasn't paid for them all.

I'd like to be able to participate in more events outside of work but I find that I cannot attend as I quite often work on weekends and I'm told by other colleagues not to participate in sports as I would have done as there's a risk of injury and that if I was to get injured I wouldn't get sick pay off the company.

9. Would you recommend Co-op to a friend?

because we provide excellent service.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Co-op?

I don't think our recruitment process is very good as it doesn't focus on finding the right people for the roles. I would tell applicants to stick with it as if they get in they will be able to learn new skills and have a career for life.