Business Apprentice at BAE Systems

Brough

6.0/10

As part of my apprenticeship I move around 6 different departments such as Project Management, Operations, Finance, SHE, Site Facilities and Quality. My role involves helping out if anybody has a big workload and hopefully finding out more about the business.

So far I have learnt communication skills which help me throughout each placement. I have also gained confidence through learning new people and taking on different challenges.

Currently I'm enjoying my programme a lot more than I did. Although there's still improvements to be made i.e unfair treatment of Brough Apprentices in comparison to Warton and lack of work, I believe this will improve.

4. How valued do you feel by BAE Systems?

On occasions I don't feel valued as people blatantly ignore you by knowing you're an apprentice. However at times when I have to arrange important meetings or meet somebody senior, I do feel valued.

My programme isn't very well organised as changes are being made even whilst I'm participating in the apprenticeship. The first plan we was given seemed well thought out.

From my actual assessor I don't receive much support at all as she is hardly ever here. However the support from the staff at Brough is much appreciated.

My employer is giving me support and I know somebody will always be there to speak to me if I need further support. However I do wish they'd support us more on our qualifications.

My salary meets my costs well and allows me to live comfortably. After taking into account petrol and home living, I still have a little bit of disposable income.

I haven't heard of any opportunities outside of work, and if there are any they haven't been communicated to us. I wish we had more communication.

9a. Would you recommend BAE Systems to a friend? *

I would recommend because they look after their employees and everybody is friendly. However the work load is not what was made out when I applied for the role.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to BAE Systems? *

Ensure you know your stuff about the company before applying or you will feel like you've been thrown in the deep end. Make an effort.