Maintenance Team Member at Rolls-Royce

Derby

Connect with Rolls-Royce

7.4/10

I am a maintenance team member at the ABCF Turbines facility in Rotherham. On a day to day basis I interact with operators on the shop floor as well as managers and my co-workers to fix problems with machines around the site. I arrive on site for my shift where we do a shift handover. Once the handover is complete we head out onto the shop floor to carry out maintance acitivities.

I have learnt many new skills since being on the job. I have learnt many new/different techniques of overcoming problems on machines such as how to problem solve in a three-phase panel.

I enjoy my programme very much as I get on with all my colleagues. I really enjoy the job as its always something i've wanted to do.

4. How valued do you feel by Rolls-Royce?

I feel very valued by Rolls-Royce as well as being valued by my team I work with. My team trust I can work safely and I have the skills to work confidently by my self.

My programme has not been very well structured. There has been poor communication between Rolls-Royce and the training centre I attended who are moving my apprenticeship forward. This has meant in some cases I have missed training courses that I should have attended as part of my apprenticeship.

I don't recieve much support from the training provider, I have a meeting with my NVQ assessor every 6 weeks or so who sets me targets to push me through my NVQ. Other than that I dont have much support. I can get more support through my ADL but I feel I don't need it.

My ADL as stated above is always available to give me support however I feel I don't need it day to day. I have had a couple of issues which have been resolved by the help of my ADL.

My salary is very good for an apprenticeship and gets increased when I meet targets. As I still live at home my costs are low and therefore makes it beneficial however if I lived on my own it would be a very tight budget I would be living on.

I wouldn't say I have come across many opportunities outside of work other than STEM acitivities. Most opportunities are within work such as training courses to improve skills.

9a. Would you recommend Rolls-Royce to a friend? *

It's a very good company to work for as their brand is very well known. They pay a competative salary for apprentices and its a great way to jump start your career with loads of oppotunities for training courses to devlop your skills.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Rolls-Royce? *

Go for it. Be prepared to go into a real working environment especially if your coming from GCSE level. It's a great way to start a career and I would definitely reccomend it.