Specialist Science Apprentice at Rolls-Royce

27th April 2016

Connect with Rolls-Royce

7.4/10

Laboratory activities:

Metallurgical sample preparation Mechanical Testing (hardness, tensile, bend and hyrdogen) Metallurgical and coating assessments Validation/Evaluations Technical Report Writing

Developed - Communications: working with different businesses, departments and suppliers nationally and globally Problem Solving: Involved with root cause analysis projects Manual Dexterity: Basic engineering training, workshop environment Team Work: Learned how to adapt in a range of teams Laboratory tasks: As described in question 1.

I enjoy working with the variety of people and departments that I have during my apprenticeship, along with the training and effort that colleagues have supported me with. I feel as though I have been slightly more restricted due to applying for a science apprenticeship but have had opportunities to experience other roles out with the laboratory.

4. How valued do you feel by Rolls-Royce?

I feel as though managers/supervisors have always given very good feedback and made me feel like an equally valued team member amongst other employees.

I think the programme teaches you to be organised rather than the scheme already being organised for you.

I have had to arrange a lot of my own placements and find contacts to help when needed rather than have a lot of guidance. However, it can be seen as character building and teaches you to have an independent and professional approach to work.

The college I attended for training were and have been very helpful and supportive in helping me achieve my SVQs.

There have been issues with regard to a development leader during my time so it would be unfair to say that most people would not get the right support.

To begin with I found it hard as I had to move away from home for the apprenticeship and the wages weren't great to support rent and I couldn't afford driving lessons or a car. However, the further you progressed the better the pay got and I now live quite comfortably.

There is not much promoted up North for activities outside of work. Although I have had STEM Ambassador training that has allowed me to promote engineering in the community.

9a. Would you recommend Rolls-Royce to a friend? *

Rolls Royce has helped bring on my personal development, education and career on leaps and bounds. I am thankful for all the opportunities I have had, considering I had never thought I would have achieved what I have when I left school. Not many people promoted apprenticeships when I was leaving school but I definitely feel it has been more beneficial for me than university could have been. I have been educated and I have been given experience whilst being paid to learn!

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Rolls-Royce? *

Approach a challenge with the right positivity and motivation. Look to develop yourself as far as you can and embrace the support given along the way.