Engineering Higher Apprentice at Rolls-Royce

Derby
Apprenticeship - Higher Level (Level 4)
27th April 2016

Connect with Rolls-Royce

6.1/10

Working as an apprentice in placements across the company. Mainly working on a comupter, often doing design work. Lots of collecting data from various people across the company mainly via emails. I generally have a couple of actions per week. Sometimes I am left alone for a long period of time to get on with it. Sometimes i have regular meetings to update my supervisor.

Yes, I have learnt many many new skills. I have been on approxamately 20 courses to learn new skills, as well as lots of learning on the job by doing actual work to benefit the company.

The work is normally engaging and enjoyable. It often streches me and therefore keep my interest. Most people in the company are friendly and help when i need help. Rolls-Royce try to create a culture where you consider the implications of your actions to benefit everyone around you as well as yourself. In some places, this culture is adopted.

4. How valued do you feel by Rolls-Royce?

It completely depends on which palcement i am put on. Some individuals recognise that apprentices are the future of the company and do help and value the work I do. But others just try to make their life easier by giving the boring tedious work to the apprentice in the team. This has only happened in 1 placement.

Everything is organised in advance, but often things change which is when things get forgotten. For example, I changed which business area I was aligned to, and when I moved to the new area, the plan for my apprenticeship got removed and not updated. The organisation of my course often requires me to hassle the people responsible for it. Otherwise i have to organise my course myself.

I see my Apprentice Development Leader every 12 weeks to give an update of what i've been doing and to ask for any advice/ support. But other than this, we have hardly any contact.

Lots of support is provided from my business area. Although i have heard from other apprentices that their business areas dont support them much.

Yes, my salary has been enough to live on so far.

The apprentice and graduate association helps to organise spcial events outside of work. Its easy to make friends and enjoy life outside of working hours through this association

9a. Would you recommend Rolls-Royce to a friend? *

The job prospects are obviously amazing, plus im getting a degree and im getting paid. Rolls-Royce is a good company to work for and so even job prospects in other companies are good.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Rolls-Royce? *

Its more informal than you think. So relax for the interviews and focus on being engaging and enjoying it rather than too formal.