Apprentice telecoms maintenance technician at Network Rail

York

Connect with Network Rail

6.1/10

Training for a role in maintaining network rail's telecommunications infrastructure

Electrical skills and electricians skills, as well as about the railway and telecom infrastructure.

The program has the potential to be great but as this year is the last in the current location, the transition has been anything but smooth.

4. How valued do you feel by Network Rail?

Network rail cares for its employees very well and I feel valued by this company as an apprentice.

The course began organised but as news of the impending transition became known the tutors began to leave and the organisation has suffered as a result. Next year will be better, most likely.

Wereceive support from Babcock via apprentice support officers who we can approach with any issues.

We have access to all of network rails support services, including validium. We are also encouraged to join trades unions.

For older apprentices with bills or other responsibilities, the wage is wholly inadequate for the first year.

We have access to the naval gym and pool facilities as well as various sports clubs and fitness programmes. We also have opportunity to partake in team building exercises.

9a. Would you recommend Network Rail to a friend? *

It is a chance to get a long term job with (eventually) decent pay, as well as learn a new skill whilst enjoying the opportunity to increase your fitness and grow as a person.

10. What tips or advice would you give to others applying to Network Rail? *

Expect a year of sharing a room with others and spending your time either doing work, gaining new skills and improving your fitness. If you come to the course with a will to apply yourself, you will do well.